Wednesday 27 February 2013

A gift of laughter by Allan Sherma



A gift of laughter is about father’s relationship with his son and his past.  The personage of the story is writer himself, Allan Sherman, because I read that it tells about Robert Sherman is narrator’s son. I can remember myself before. I cried several times because I want a candy or playing with friends outside when it already was dark. My memories are fragments for me now. I did remember I went to kitchen. My dad and mom was speaking about something important. I tried to attract their attention. They wanted me to let them talk rest, but I didn’t listen to them. My dad was frustrated. My mom also was crazy from me. They sent me to my room. I was crying in my room in whole time. I knew my behavior bad, but I tried to act as poor girl. It didn’t help before my family arrived. I washed my tears fast and tried to show that nothing was happening to me.  When my family left, my parents took me and putted on the chair and waited for my excuses. Before I as child I refused to bid my excuses. My parents said I may to eat dinner if I said sorry to them. Then I realized I was very hungry. I told them I’m sorry. Now I still am stubborn, but I know I have to say sorry if I went wrong.  I also read in the story and know that after bad time or quarrel the relationship between two people were better than before. I had quarreled with my parents many times. Our relationship were very strong now. I realized I have to thank them for everything they taught me.





Just then Robbie slammed the door of his room. But I heard a different door, a door I once slammed – 25 years ago – in my grandmother’s house in Chicago.1
That’s a suddenly moment for Allan Sherman. The memory did come back through his brain. He remembered the moment from past. He did do that it before too. He slammed his door when his mother was laugh at him.  He did realize his son has committed same feeling as he had before.








Before Uncle sol could answer, Grandma continued, ‘’ it’s beautiful, yess – because from a child is beautiful, anything.’’ 2
Allan must be very happy to hear that sentence. Maybe grandmother did hear what Allan’s mother said to Allan and felt guilty with saying wrong words. She wanted to do something for Allan. Because from a child is beautiful, anything: It impressed Allan too. He did realize that art of his son is beautiful. Whatever he did draw anything. It did help Allan to realize and did do good thing for his son to thank him. He had to thank his grandmother’s lesson.

1. Leaving my home 4th paragraph, pg 30.
2. Leaving my home 14th paragraph, pg 32.

No comments:

Post a Comment