Tuesday 26 February 2013

My ideal green campus






Until now Gallaudet University and Brown University are only two universities I have touched because my country Netherland doesn’t have campus. The Netherland has only college buildings or area with many college buildings with different majors. The students don’t live in dorms, but they live in a student house.  Student does share kitchen and bathroom with their housemates. So, I’m not used with a campus.
When I walked through campus, I noticed there are many trashes. I didn’t like if many people did throw plastic papers or used drink canned. I like clean environment, so I want to see clean ground and bring and drop – save resources by recycling. The good thing from Gallaudet that I see is vegetable patch with growing plants. That is good way to use the plants for cooking food by dinning center. I want to see more things that are good for environment, such as solar power, biomass boiler, or unique fitness. You see a good image of green campus1 under. My ideal campus need to have environmental friendly design, innovation, and architecture. 





Not only this claim of environmental friendly things should require, but I also want to have structure map. For example, you see an image of Harvard University map2 next. My point is not because Harvard University is famous of the world, but it does have good map, every major has own area. Education part is west of the map and design part is east of the map. The students of Education can cooperate with their mates in same area. They can find each other are easier than all majors mix in one area or building. I have visited Brown University. It is different from Gallaudet University because Brown University doesn’t really have border around campus. Some building, for example church, aren’t belong to Brown, but placed in the middle of university. Gallaudet University has border to protect people from outside because Gallaudet is in the middle of bad area, so Gallaudet University is more isolated than Brown University. 


The architecture of buildings on the campus is difficult to choose because I didn’t touch many universities in USA. Before I started with this blog, I check famous universities, such as Harvard, Brown and Oxford. I noticed I like the architecture of Oxford University because I like the history of medieval. I find out that oxford is city of dreaming spites3 because it has spite towers. The oxford University does have modern buildings too. Every university does have modern building because old buildings can’t stay forever, but I like that kind architecture. It has beautiful color yellow and shape. If you walk between buildings, it gives feeling ambience of old fashioned. But it does have a disadvantage for environmental. Old buildings need more heating inside or good light. It also is difficult to put solar energy on those kind buildings.
For my ideal campus, I want to have a green environmental with environmental friendly design, innovation, and patch for vegetable. The campus map should be structure and easy to find, as Harvard University. The architecture of Oxford University should be there, it gives good atmosphere through area. The university should focus on students. It’s important to have good name to attract students.


Sources
1.     Map of Green Campus


3.     Oxford university





No comments:

Post a Comment