Thursday 4 April 2013

Bad influence by Judith Ortiz Cofer



In the class we have discussed about bad influence, translated to Spanish: a mala influencia. You can have got bad influence from person from your surroundings. In this story is about Rita. Her parents sent her to Puerto Rico to visit her grandparents because her mother wants her to be separate from her boyfriend. Her mother thinks that her boyfriend does have bad influence on her and her friend Meli. Rita was doing something mischievous with Meli. I can remember two persons in my life do have bad influence on me. Two persons were my ex-boyfriend and my friend. At first my friend, I was at elementary school. He was my classmate. He was playing like as boss. He decided what people have to do and not. He forced us to treat other bad. My friends and I have to bully others. My mother suspected there’s something wrong with me because my behavior changed. She helped me to stop him. Later it’s successful. My ex-boyfriend, I did love him but he is bad guy like Johnny in the story. By him influence my behavior changed. I became more stubborn and acted not nice to my parents. My mother disliked him and she tried to speak with me about him, but I won’t listen to her. Later I understood her. I’m feeling better and less pressure when it was off with him. During looking for image i noticed that bad influence also means anorexia. in the story people thought Angela had anorexia. It could be that she has, because she has difficult at home. 



‘’In most of these cases where a restless of bad spirit has settled over a house, it’s just a matter of figuring out what it wants or needs. Then you have to help it to figuring out what it wants or needs. Then you have to help it to find its way to God by giving it a way out --- giving it light. The home is purified of the bad influence, and peace returns’’


Leaving home, Bad influence by Judith Ortiz Cofer, pg 80


Mid-America and south America was influence by Catholic from Spain by colonial. There are still old people who are strong religious. Rita’s grandparents were Christian religion, Catholic too. So they believed that God can help you with everything because in this house there was bad spirit. Papa Juan is pastor and he had to help the girl.

'' I spent a lot of time at the pink house over the next weeks. I even began liking the color. I told Angela about Johnny Ruiz even though I had not really thought about him, not as much anyway, in the last month. She said that he sounded like a troubled boy. A mala influencia? I suggested. 

Leaving home, Bad influence by Judigth Ortiz Cofer, pg 88

Rita is changed though vacation. She realised that Johnny was not well for her. She also realised about bad influence. sometimes it's not true. Angela did not have bad spirit. Her mother just thought. By the way Rita speaks with Angela she realised that Angela was nice girl. Rita wants to have good friends who does not have bad influence on her. She really enjoys her time with Angela. 

3 comments: