Tuesday 16 April 2013

On the rainy river by Tim O'Brien



 
 

Tim O’Brien: a secret hero. The auteur did call his name in the story, so it’s his experience in his life. He never told to his family or wife before. He seemed embarrassment about his escape from hometown.  First he belonged to be soldier for Vietnam War, but he won’t. He seemed not ready for it yet. He found it ridiculous idea. Then he spent the summer of 1968 working in an Armour meatpacking plant. He seemed not enjoy his job there. After that he felt confused by himself. He did not know what he wanted to do. He escaped from his hometown and his family. He went to Canada, during drive he was exhaust and wanted to sleep. He found a place to sleep by Tip Top Lodge. He met the owner. He understood the feelings and welcomed him fast. He stayed six days by Tip Top Lodge. During those days he felt strange, but also better. He went back to his hometown.  And went to war.
Sometimes in my life I want to be alone. I want to leave, but it never happens because I can’t stand it alone. Later I get know that escape does not help you to solve the problems. Maybe it does help to have rest. If you have problem you better look for helps. My opinion is that if you run out from your location and stayed anywhere without helps. You still feel bad about things that you have been thinking about it. With the help can solve your problems. Then you think less about it and feel better.

 
The man was sharp --- he didn't miss much. Those razor eyes. Now and then he'd catch me staring out at the river, at the far shore, and I could almost hear the tumblers clicking in his head. Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it

Leaving home, Tim O’brien. On the Rainy River pg. 145
Elroy Berdahl is an old guy and owner of Tip Top Lodge. I suspect he has large experience with uncertain feelings. The most of old people have experience to step over the difficult. He could catch that Tim feels bad. Tim could see that he saw it, but he was too embarrassment to talk about his problem. Elroy welcomes him and gives him space to have rest and solve his problems by himself


 
My whole life seemed to spill out into the river, swirling away from me, everything I had ever been or ever wanted to be. I couldn’t get my breath; I couldn’t stay afloat; I couldn’t tell which way to swim. A hallucination, I suppose, but it was a real as anything I would ever feel. I saw my parents calling to me from the far shoreline. I saw my brother and sister, all the townsfolk, the mayor and the entire Chamber of Commerce and all my old teachers and girlfriends and high school buddies.

 Leaving home, Tim O’Brien. On the Rainy River pg. 153
He was confused about his life now and future. He explains how he feels like to spill out into the river. He also said how he was falling deep down in the black hole. He could not stand strong at this moment. He feels that everything is up and he was down.  He thinks he was in hallucination, but everything looked real. That way you can get if you really was down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment